United World Wrestling today announced updated Rules and Regulations for the discipline of Beach Wrestling. The modifications of the rules comes after several years of tournaments and a desire to ensure fair competition which highlights technique and awards wrestling actions.
The most significant changes include:
- First wrestler to THREE points is declared the winner
- One point for a takedown or pushout, and two points for takedowns with back exposure
- One 3-minute period with no overtime
- Criteria for match tied during regulation: 1. Highest value action 2. Last to score
- Wrestling surface is increased from 6m in diameter to 7m in diameter
The current Beach Wrestling calendar includes World Beach Wrestling Festival June 10-12; the Pan-American Beach Wrestling Championships, June 22-23 in Cartagena, Colombia; and the 2015 Beach Mediterranean Games organized in Pescara (ITA) which begin in late August.