Licenses for athletes



All wrestlers, whether cadet, junior, senior or veteran who wish to participate in a competition entered in the UWW calendar must have an international license of the year validated by UWW. It covers the medical expenses in case of an accident. Each wrestler must contact his Federation for a license. Indeed, our National Federations are fully responsible for all athletes in their country, and must buy their athlete's license prior to the competition. No license is sold on site.


Our licenses are sold to our Federations exclusively via our Athena platform :




Purchase of the license by our National Federations

Once on Athena, the Federation has to log into its account : enter its username (which is the official UWW email address of the Federation) and password. If you have lost it, please click on "Lost password ?" and follow the procedure.


- For the purchase of a new license (athlete who has never had one in the past) there are three tasks to be completed : upload the passport copy, photo and annual medical certificate.  Here is our  !


- For the renewal of an athlete's license (who already had one in the past), you just have to upload an annual medical certificate. The  is here.


If you need a blank 2017 annual medical certificate, click  (it must be filled in, dated and signed by a Doctor).


At the end of the procedure in Athena (when all the required documents have been uploaded), you can choose the form of payment you prefer :


- credit card (+ 3% of bank expense). If you pay by credit card, your license will be confirmed by UWW within 7 days.


- bank transfer. If you want to pay by bank transfer, we will send you an invoice. Upon receipt of your payment, your license will be confirmed by UWW within 7 days. 


For both options, you will receive a "confirmation order" on your official email address. 


Please be aware that the validation of license cannot be done on the day of the purchase, and therefore, your purchases must be anticipated !


Price of the license & age catetories

CADET CHF 50.-  

16-17 years (from 15 with medical and parental certificate)


Juniors - 18-20 years (from 17 with medical and parental certificate)
Seniors U 23 - 19-23 years (from 18 with medical and parental certificate)
Seniors - 20 years and older (from 18 with medical and parental certificate)
Veterans - from 35 to 60 years 

Wrestlers in the junior age category are allowed to participate in the competitions for seniors. However, wrestlers aged 18 in the year concerned must provide a medical certificate and parental authorisation. Wrestlers aged 17 in the year may not participate in senior competitions. Wrestlers who wish to take part in age categories above theirs must provide a signed medical and parental certificate to the Referee.


If you don't know if your athlete is cadet, junior, senior or veteran, or if your athlete needs a parental authorization, please click 


For United World Wrestling bank details click 




When the licence is confirmed by UWW, it will be valid until 31st December 2017. 

However, licenses bought from 01.11.17 until 31.12.17 will be valid until 31.12.18 !



Sending of the personal license card to Federations, QR code and presentation of the card at competitions 

In 2015 we implemented a new personal licence card, with a QR code at the back, reloadable from one year to another. Consequently


- each wrestler who has had his licence purchased by his Federation for the first time in 2017 will receive a personal license card, sent by UWW to the Federation a few weeks after the purchase. The wrestler must keep it during his entire sporting life.


- each athlete who had a licence purchased in 2015 and/or 2016 has already received his card. When his Federation buys his 2017 license, UWW will confirm it and the validity will immediately be visible on the QR code of the card.


Each athlete will have to present it at the weigh-in to our Referee or Delegate and wrestlers without a card will not be eligible to take part in the competition. However, the list of licensees of each country (printable via Athena by the Federation) will be accepted as valid proof for the 2017 license.


You can find some important information concerning wrestlers' insurance at the back of each card : Insurer details & website, user name and password for the online accident claim. More information is available on our website, under Governance / License / Insurance.



2. ASSOCIATED STYLES (Grappling, Pankration, Belt Wrestling, etc) - CADET, JUNIOR, SENIOR, VETERAN


The Associated style licenses are sold exclusively during our competitions by our Referees and Delegates and are payable cash. There are two kinds of Associated Style licenses :


Annual license (valid from the day of the purchase until 31.12.2017). For this license, the athlete must hand in his passport copy, photo and annual medical certificate when he buys it, and he will receive a receipt. The annual license costs

- cadet CHF 50.- / Euros 50.- / US$ 50.-

- junior, senior, veteran CHF 100.- / Euros 100.- / US$ 110.-


After the competition, our Referees and Delegates will send us all documents, and we will print the personal card to each athlete who bought a yearly license, and send it to his National Federation. Please note that we will not print any card if we have not received the 3 above mentioned documents.


Temporary licence (valid for one competition only) sold only to cadet and junior athletes, but not to senior or veteran : each athlete has to hand in a passport copy when he buys it and will receive a receipt. The the temporary license costs


- CHF 30.- / Euros 30.- / US$ 30.- 


No personal card is printed to athletes who bought a temporary license.


You can also find some important information concerning wrestlers' insurance at the back of each card : Insurer details & website, user name and password for the online accident claim. You can also find more information on our website, under Governance / License / Insurance.